Fresh Garlic Dills
Fresh Garlic Dills
Recipe Type: Pickels
These pickles are fresh and have just two days on the kitchen counter – after that they must be kept refrigerated.
- 2 quarts of water
- 1 cup white or cider vinegar
- ½ cup pickling salt
- About 3 to 4 pounds of cucumbers – small pickling cukes are best
- 8 large heads of dill, or more if they are smaller
- 8 medium garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- This will make about 4 quarts of pickles, so you need 4 1 quart jars with lids, or more if they are smaller.
- Canning jars aren’t necessary, but they do need a lid. Wash in hot soapy water and rinse well [or run through the dishwasher].
- Measure the water, vinegar and salt into a 3 quart sauce pan and set over high heat – you want the salt to dissolve and the mixture to come to a full boil.
- Meanwhile, make sure your cucumbers are good and clean. Cut them however you like the smaller the pieces, the more that will fit in a jar.
- In the bottom of each jar, place 1 large head of dill, or several smaller ones. You can also put in some of the fronds and stems.
- Then put 1 garlic clove in the bottom.
- Fill each jar with cucumbers – for spears, it might be easier to lay the jar on its side. You can really cram them in there tightly, but leave a good inch of head space at the top, so that the brine will be able to cover the pickles.
- Top the cucumbers in the jars with another clove of garlic, as well as another large head of dill. You can just leave it at that, or for a little more complexity of flavor, add a scant teaspoon of mustard seed, and 5 peppercorns to each jar.
- Carefully fill each jar with the boiling water/vinegar/salt mixture, making sure to get the cucumbers completely covered.
- Screw on the lids.
- Leave the jars out in the counter for 2 or 3 days, and then store in the refrigerator for at least two weeks before opening them. They will keep well for several months as long as you keep them refrigerated.
Serving size: 2 spears Calories: 50 Fat: 1 Saturated fat: 0 Unsaturated fat: 0 Trans fat: 0 Carbohydrates: 12 Sugar: 5 Sodium: 6